Friday, Sept. 25, 2020
* Humboldt County is reporting its seventh Covid-19 related death following the passing of a resident in his 60s this week. A Del Norte County resident tested positive Thursday, bringing the active number cases here to two. Both cases are self-isolating at home. Curry County had no new cases.
* A Crescent City man was charged with attempted murder after he allegedly intentionally struck a Crescent City man with his car Sunday afternoon. Jonathon James Amos, age 23, reportedly fled the scene after the 32-year-old victim was struck and suffered moderate injuries. Amos is being held in lieu of a quarter-million dollars bail.
* Rain helped firefighters battling the Slater Fire near U.S. Highway 199 along the Oregon-California border. More of an inch of rain fell on Gasquet as firefighters expanded their containment line up to 24 percent. Operations have focused on constructing a fire line between Knopki Creek and Sanger Lake.
* Fair food returns to the Del Norte Fairgrounds this weekend, with curly fries and other county fair staples being served.
* The annual household hazardous waste collection event is slated for Saturday at the Del Norte County Transfer Station. This is the one time when local residents can dispose of pesticides, herbicides, poisons, cleaners, thinners, solvents, outdated medicines and other materials. The free event will run from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. off of Elk Valley Road.