Thursday, June 24, 2021
* Putting a local bond measure before voters next June will be examined at today’s Del Norte County Unified School District board meeting. Eight of the district’s 11 schools are 60-plus years old, including Crescent Elk Middle School, which was built in 1929. According to the district, all nine are in need of either modernization or replacement. The public part of the Zoom webinar meeting begins at 4 p.m.
* A special meeting of the Crescent City City Council is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. today via Zoom. Items on the agenda include the notice of completion of the Front Street storm drain project, as well as accepting a donation from the Del Norte Healthcare District to pay for swim lessons at the Fred Endert Municipal Swimming Pool.
* A feasibility study regarding an offshore wind power project highlights today’s special meeting of the Crescent City Harbor District commissioners. The board will also consider approving a music event in the harbor on July 21. The Zoom meeting starts at 10 a.m.
* The Crescent City Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance to find a 27-year-old man with an active warrant for unlawful sex with a minor. Constancio Gutierrz-Pelayo fled Crescent City when law enforcement sought a statement. It is thought that the individual is either camping in Curry County, or staying in the Eureka area. He is possibly armed. Anyone with any information should contact the Crescent City Police via phone or through the department’s Facebook page.
* The Brookings Flying Club is planning its 2021 Airport Day event on July 4. Airplane and helicopter rides will be offered, with proceeds benefiting the club’s scholarship fund. Airport Day will go from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., weather permitting.